Sunday, December 14, 2008

Serenity Now!



As the clock winds down on yet another year, we begin to reflect on those things yet accomplished, and what we will do differently in the upcoming year to see them through. Those New Year's resolutions. This year I'm going to...(insert dream here).

Plans we hang our hopes on, that begin to melt away long before the first flowers of Spring.

Recently, when I was in one of those reflective moments, I ran across something that I have seen a thousand times, yet in this instance began to resonate.




God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.


The Serenity Prayer. No doubt this simple phrase exists in thousands of variations and formats in Cracker Barrel motif homes all across the country.

It reminds me of those hymns that I grew up with in Church. The ones you can sing without missing a note, all the while your mind is busy thinking about that afternoon football game, or where you are going for lunch. In those rare times when you allow your mind to focus on the words, you realize why these old treasures have such staying power throughout the generations. The words may be simple, but they are truly powerful.

As I began to meditate on these words, I thought about all the situations that affect my mood, in which I had no control. Traffic. How many times have I allowed myself to get wrapped around the axle (no pun intended) over miniscule things...

"Seriously, three open lanes, and you pull out in front of me"!
"Your going to turn from THAT lane"!
"Hey, that light's not going to stay green forever"!

How often have a let the outcome of a sporting event, in which I didn't make one single play, dictate my mood for an entire weekend.

Let's not even talk about work...

Yet in those things in which I have some level of control, I often find myself greatly lacking in the effort department. Usually paralyzed by laziness, or that dreaded dream killer, procrastination. I usually attempt to make up for this by continuing to complain, or disproportionately dolling out excuses.

Maybe the wisdom portion of this comes in closing my mouth long enough to open my ears and listen with my heart. Much like those old hymns.

How different would the next year be for me, and those in my sphere of influence, if I made an honest effort to take this to heart. That's something to ponder on...

An additional note. In doing my research for this, I realized that there's an additional verse to the Serenity Prayer that seldom makes it's way to those needlepoint versions...

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
As it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
If I surrender to His Will;
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life
And supremely happy with Him
Forever and ever in the next.

Wow, that's powerful stuff.

I think I'll do my best to make that part of my prayer for the up coming year. So the next time I see a ceramic rooster, or a decoupage "Kiss the Cook", may a take a moment to disengage my mouth, engage my heart, and ask myself, "So, how's it going"?

A "tip of the hat" to Reinhold Niebuhr who is widely referenced as the author.

No comments: